Reset your IU passphrase
Before you begin
If you have forgotten your passphrase and need to reset it:
- Students, faculty, staff, applicants, and IU affiliates can use Passphrase Reset.
- All enrolled users can use Passphrase Reset by email.
- All enrolled users can use Passphrase Reset questions.
- Accounts belonging to groups, departments, or organizations are not eligible to use Passphrase Reset; you will have to reset your passphrase in person at your campus Support Center, or by mail or fax.
The account sponsor, or owner, is the only person authorized
to reset the group account passphrase, even if there are other people
who regularly log into and use the account.
All group or departmental accounts must have owners who are active
faculty or staff members (as reported by HRMS). If the owner leaves
the university or (through change of HR status) becomes ineligible to
own a group account, the owned account(s) will be removed. To ensure
the continuity of group accounts, see Transfer ownership of a group or departmental account.
For security reasons, UITS must be able to verify your identity in order to reset your passphrase. All of the following methods require that you know your 10-digit University ID number.
Use Passphrase Reset
To use Passphrase Reset:
Go to Passphrase Reset.
- Enter the username for the account for which you wish to make the passphrase change, and click
- Enter your last name, date of birth, and University ID Number in the fields provided. Click .
- Proceed to one of the next two sections, as applicable:
Use Passphrase Reset by email
If you have a passphrase recovery email set in the Security Center, the next page will allow you to reset your passphrase by generating a reset code to be sent to the alternate email address. If have not provided a recovery email address, see Use Passphrase Reset questions.
To use Passphrase Reset by email:
- Review the masked email address displayed and click
. An email message with a reset code will be sent to this address.
- Enter the reset code, including the dashes, and click
- Complete a Two-Step Login by initiating one through the Duo Control Panel (the rvt-alert rvt-m-top-md rvt-m-bottom-md with the IU logo).
- When you have successfully completed a Two-Step Login, you will be able to create a new passphrase; follow the guidelines on the page, or see Your IU passphrase. Enter and re-enter your new passphrase in the fields provided, and then click .
You may select Passphrase Reset questions method if you have enrolled in this feature.
to reset your passphrase using the
Use Passphrase Reset questions
To use Passphrase Reset questions, you must already be enrolled in the system, and your identifying questions and answers must already be configured. Most people will have been automatically enrolled when creating their first IU accounts; otherwise, see Enroll in Passphrase Reset or change your security questions.
- For each question, enter the answer you provided when you enrolled in the system; be careful to spell your responses correctly. Click
- When you have successfully answered the questions, you will be able to create a new passphrase; follow the guidelines on the page, or see Your IU passphrase. Enter and re-enter your new passphrase in the fields provided, and then click .
Reset your passphrase in person
You can reset your personal IU account passphrase in person at your campus Support Center, or in a staffed Student Technology Center (STC) or Residential Technology Center (RTC). If you are the owner of an IU group account, you can also reset the passphrase for your group account at your campus Support Center:
- Support Center: Take a photo ID to your campus Support Center. You will need to know your University ID number. Once a consultant has confirmed your identity, allow 20 minutes for your passphrase change to be processed. Remember that only the owner of an IU group account can reset the passphrase for that account.
- Staffed STC or RTC: In any staffed STC or RTC, take your photo ID to the TCC consultant on duty. The consultant will confirm your identity and provide a code with instructions for resetting your personal IU account passphrase on your own. You cannot reset the passphrase for an IU group account at a staffed STC or RTC; you must instead go to your campus Support Center.
Reset your passphrase in person or by mail or fax
If you cannot visit the Support Center or a staffed STC/RTC, you may fill out a Passphrase Change Form; see Request a passphrase reset by mail or fax.